Re: The Curse - Upon All Creation or Just Mankind?

From: Charles Carrigan <CCarriga@olivet.edu>
Date: Mon Sep 27 2004 - 14:50:10 EDT

Dave,

Just a couple of final comments.

1) I fail to see how digging up Adam's bones has anything to do with
whether or not the writer of Gen 2 had any concept of physical vs.
spiritual life/death. I think you are ignoring the evidence from other
portions of the OT (and NT) that seems to indicate that the ancient
Hebrews did have a concept of an afterlife, and that they had no concept
of separation of life and death into physical and spiritual. Why else
would David write in Psalm 6 - "No one remembers You when he is dead.
Who praises You from the grave?"? Just as there is ample evidence that
dinosaurs walked the earth millions of years ago, there is also evidence
that ancient Hebrews had no concept of a separation of physical and
spiritual death. If they did not have these concepts in their belief
system, then it seems wrong for us to read it into their writings.

2) I did not mean to imply that the Almighty has any thoughtless
failings, as I do. But that doesn't mean God can't change His mind.
In His discussions with Moses about the children of Israel, it seems
that Moses actually argues with God and causes God to change His mind
about wiping them all out after their disobedience. If God changed His
mind then, and He relented after initially saying they would all be
destroyed, then I dont' see any reason why God could not have also done
the same thing here with Adam and Eve.

I don't know what "open" theology is - I'm just a simple geologist. So
I can't comment on that.

I'll let you have the last word, if you'd like.

Best Regards,
Charles

Charles W. Carrigan
Olivet Nazarene University
Natural Sciences Division
One University Ave.
Bourbonnais, IL 60914
PH: (815) 939-5346
FX: (815) 939-5071

>>> "D. F. Siemens, Jr." <dfsiemensjr@juno.com> 9/26/2004 6:24:08 PM

On Sat, 25 Sep 2004 21:43:37 -0500 "Charles Carrigan"