Re: The Curse - Upon All Creation or Just Mankind?

From: <douglas.hayworth@perbio.com>
Date: Fri Sep 24 2004 - 17:32:21 EDT

> One of the four options presented by David Campbell, aka Uncle Joe,
says: "Death of animals is not inherently a moral evil." This leads me to
the following question: is the physical death of man inherently evil?
(Assuming death by old age, of course.) I believe this is the most correct
option of the four given.<
It's possible that something similar to physical death would have been a
part of the transition from earthly to heavenly existence even without the
Fall, though Adam and Eve didn't wait long enough to find out. Enoch and
Elijah don't provide much detail, either.

Usually, physical death of humans as we know it reflects the fall to a
greater or lesser degree; however, the extent to which it is integral is
open to question.

Don't you think it makes more sense to think of the Fall as being the CURSE
OF death rather then the death itself? In other words, before God gave
humans over to their sinful inclinations (i.e., Romans 1), death had no
sting because it did not represent a finality of opportunity to respond
favorably to God. After the Fall, death has a sting (a curse) in that once
it occurs, you don't have any more opportunity to respond to God. At least
this is consistent with how the gospel message is presented in the whole of
scripture.

Douglas