Re: The Curse - Upon All Creation or Just Mankind?

From: Jim Armstrong <jarmstro@qwest.net>
Date: Fri Sep 24 2004 - 16:27:04 EDT

That's an important question to examine because the conclusions have
such a strong practical bearing on biggie discussions on important stuff
like end-of-life matters and stem cell research (for starters). It's a
daunting question to explore in an environment where some are all too
ready to leap to their feet with an instant affirmative answer. But I
think the answer is "no". In any case, a thoughtful exploration of this
question is appropriate and timely and very important.

Just to mention one issue, the present fairly widespread opinion
(embodying the "yes" answer to your question) seems to leave Christian
doctors and families who face life or death decisions pretty much adrift
in a special kind of isolation with their decision(s). And, faced with
making some kind of decision, all too often any choice made will be
wrong to some very well-meaning people. Something seems to be amiss.

I think the answer (which took a long time to get to), "no". I touched
on some of the rationale in a previous post or two.
An excellent question you pose. But there is one embedded question that
asks whether death by old age is really different in any significant way
from death by identifiable, treatable disease? Still, an excellent question.

Or so it seemeth to me... JimA