RE: The Curse - Upon All Creation or Just Mankind?

From: Charles Carrigan <CCarriga@olivet.edu>
Date: Fri Sep 24 2004 - 16:45:23 EDT

Nowhere does Genesis say that "cursed" means "infertile". So just
because you look at the ground today and say it's fertile, that doesn't
mean it isn't cursed.

Best,
Charles

<><<><<><<><<><<><<><<><<><<><<><<><
Charles W. Carrigan
Olivet Nazarene University
Natural Sciences Division
One University Ave.
Bourbonnais, IL 60914
PH: (815) 939-5346
FX: (815) 939-5071

>>> Dick Fischer <dickfischer@earthlink.net> 9/24/2004 2:19:42 PM >>>

Mike wrote:
"Let us not forget that Lucifer fell before man. Doesn't that come into
the
picture?"

Good point, Moorad. I hadn't even considered that. However, I don't
believe the fall of Lucifer brought a curse upon the rest of creation.
Nowhere does Scripture seem to indicate this. Not that I'm aware of
anyway.
It wasn't until the fall of man that God cursed the ground in Genesis
3:17.
First lf all, I think we can look at the ground, or earth, and ask if
it is cursed today or is it fertile? It looks fertile to me, so I would
say that the "ground" is not presently cursed. If God cursed the ground
at Adam's Fall, either the "curse" wore off, which is hard to justify
per Scripture, or else the curse was local, as was the flood, and not
global.

In historical perspective, it appears the garden in Eden was irrigated
by canal off the Euphrates river. The Euphrates is named as one of the
four rivers in Genesis, and all of the cities in that region were
irrigated by canals. If you read Ezekiel 1:1, it names the "river"
Chebar in Babylon. Yet a map shows only the river Euphrates. The
"river" Chebar was an irrigation canal. They were named in those days.

Now we know from an example in Scripture the Bible will use the word
"river" to pertain to a canal. And "edin" is a Sumerian/Accadian word
which means "plain, priarie or desert." Let's presume the word "desert"
is apt because that fairly well describes the area of Mesopotamia -
present-day Iraq.

Quoting Genesis 2:10: "And a river went out of Eden to water the garden
..." Substituting accordingly, a canal went out of the desert to water
the garden. The garden was irrigated.

When Adam was banished from the garden he left the area that was
irrigated and found in the unirrigated desert "thorns and thistles."
Another possibility is that over the years the ground became salty from
continued irrigation and Eridu (the likely original home of Adam) was
abandoned. In fact we know Eridu was abandoned at least once,
presumably for that reason. So whether Adam suffered from banishment
immediately or through the increasingly salty soil, the result was the
same.

Either way, the curse was local, and effected Adam's circumstances, not
the American Indians, for example, who planted corn in fertile land both
before and after Adam's Fall.

www.genesisproclaimed.org