RE: The Curse - Upon All Creation or Just Mankind?

From: Dick Fischer <dickfischer@earthlink.net>
Date: Fri Sep 24 2004 - 15:19:42 EDT
Mike wrote:
"Let us not forget that Lucifer fell before man. Doesn't that come into the
picture?"

Good point, Moorad.  I hadn't even considered that.  However, I don't
believe the fall of Lucifer brought a curse upon the rest of creation.
Nowhere does Scripture seem to indicate this.  Not that I'm aware of anyway.
It wasn't until the fall of man that God cursed the ground in Genesis 3:17.

First lf all, I think we can look at the ground, or earth, and ask if it is cursed today or is it fertile?  It looks fertile to me, so I would say that the "ground" is not presently cursed.  If God cursed the ground at Adam's Fall, either the "curse" wore off, which is hard to justify per Scripture, or else the curse was local, as was the flood, and not global.

In historical perspective, it appears the garden in Eden was irrigated by canal off the Euphrates river.  The Euphrates is named as one of the four rivers in Genesis, and all of the cities in that region were irrigated by canals.  If you read Ezekiel 1:1, it names the "river" Chebar in Babylon.  Yet a map shows only the river Euphrates.  The "river" Chebar was an irrigation canal.  They were named in those days.

Now we know from an example in Scripture the Bible will use the word "river" to pertain to a canal.  And "edin" is a Sumerian/Accadian word which means "plain, priarie or desert."  Let's presume the word "desert" is apt because that fairly well describes the area of Mesopotamia - present-day Iraq.

Quoting Genesis 2:10: "And a river went out of Eden to water the garden ..."  Substituting accordingly, a canal went out of the desert to water the garden.  The garden was irrigated.

When Adam was banished from the garden he left the area that was irrigated and found in the unirrigated desert "thorns and thistles."  Another possibility is that over the years the ground became salty from continued irrigation and Eridu (the likely original home of Adam) was abandoned.  In fact we know Eridu was abandoned at least once, presumably for that reason.  So whether Adam suffered from banishment immediately or through the increasingly salty soil, the result was the same.

Either way, the curse was local, and effected Adam's circumstances, not the American Indians, for example, who planted corn in fertile land both before and after Adam's Fall.

Dick Fischer  - Genesis Proclaimed Association
www.genesisproclaimed.org Received on Fri Sep 24 16:03:54 2004