Seed death from The Curse - Upon All Creation or Just Mankind?

From: bivalve <bivalve@mail.davidson.alumlink.com>
Date: Fri Sep 24 2004 - 13:35:27 EDT

> > I'm not a biologist, but the statement that the seed "dies" has always
> > struck me as weird. On the other hand, death of cells and various
> > other life forms seems to be a very basic ingredient in life. Perhaps
> > someone more qualified than me could comment on this.

Part of the seed (the developing embryo) must remain alive for the seed to germinate. Thus, if one misinterprets Paul's metaphor as a technical botanical statement, it is incorrect. Other parts of the seed function as protection or food and do die.

    Dr. David Campbell
    Old Seashells
    University of Alabama
    Biodiversity & Systematics