Re: The Curse - Upon All Creation or Just Mankind?

From: Sheila Wilson <sheila-wilson@sbcglobal.net>
Date: Tue Sep 21 2004 - 15:29:11 EDT

The fall of Adam affected the entire earth as seen in Isaiah 24:5-6a:

"The earth is defiled by its people;
they have disobeyed the laws,
violated the statutes
and broken the everlasting covenant.
Therefore a curse consumes the earth;
its people must bear their guilt."

The real question is whether death occurred before the fall. The Bible doesn't say. Inferring that death didn't occur because God said His creation was good is probably wrong. Death is often referred to as a good thing; for example, a seed must be buried in the ground and die before a new plant is grown and we must die to self (crucify our flesh) in order to be obedient to God. Inferring that nothing ever died before the fall is also false because God promised seed time and harvest will never cease as long as the earth endures (Genesis 8:22).

What is the answer? Can we even discover the answer in this age?

Sheila

gordon brown <gbrown@euclid.colorado.edu> wrote:

On Sat, 18 Sep 2004, Mike Tharp wrote:

> In Genesis 3:17, God tells Adam, "cursed is the ground for thy sake". The
> ground would be the earth, so the entire earth is cursed, no? Verse 18 goes
> on to say, "Thorns also and thistles shall it bring forth." This seems to
> indicate that there was some change in at least plant life after the Fall.
>
> In Romans 8:22, Paul writes, "For we know that the whole creation groaneth
> and travaileth in pain together until now." This verse seems to indicate
> that the entire creation was cursed, not mankind alone.
>
> I would have to agree, though, that "nowhere in scripture does it say that
> death, came to all of creation after the fall, only death to man." However,
> I also agree with the argument that, if there were death and suffering
> before the fall, it seems strange that God would call such a creation "very
> good." That death and suffering, both of man and animals, are a result of
> the Fall seems to make sense to me.
>
> In Christ,
> Mike

Before the creation of man it is said that the creation was good rather
than very good. After the creation of man it is said to be very good, not
perfect. (The law of the Lord is perfect.) What God has created is still
said to be good even now (I Tim. 4:4). Prophecies in Revelation and
elsewhere indicate that something better is possible.

We note that the good creation before the Fall contained desert (Gen.
2:5), due to conditions in which plants could not survive. Adam was told
that he would surely die the day he ate from the forbidden tree. What
would that have meant to him if he had never seen a dead animal? What was
the significance of the tree of life? See Gen. 3:22. Indications are that
conditions were very different outside the Garden than they were in it
both before and after the Fall. Thorns and thistles could have been
present outside the Garden before the Fall.

Gordon Brown
Department of Mathematics
University of Colorado
Boulder, Colorado 80309-0395