Re: A word of appreciation

From: D. F. Siemens, Jr. <dfsiemensjr@juno.com>
Date: Sat Sep 18 2004 - 19:29:07 EDT

Vernon,
Re 1, it is silly because it implies that God doesn't know that pi is
transcendental and he is the author of the approximate rather than the
perfect. Re 2, it is not interesting if God is accused of doing it,
except as a slam on his omniscience. If you want to adopt process
theology or some similar aberration that limits God's knowledge, it would
fit.

Re 3, you have indicated that those of us who disagree with your view are
in the dark. I turn that on its head claiming that those who agree with
you are denying the perfection of the deity. As to the following, what is
the difference between a miracle and a coincidence? Numerical agreement
in one or two verses out of the whole of scripture does not qualify as a
miracle, no matter how loudly you proclaim it. Now, if the whole of the
creation story produced pi to a hundred places, that would be a better
indication of something special. Were the whole text of Genesis the
sequence of prime numbers or some other mathematical sequence or value,
there would be grounds for a claim of divine intervention. However, as
one swallow does not a summer make, so one verse does not a miracle make.
I do not deny your calculation, accurate to five places. I simply refrain
from using the earthier term for the claim you make on that pitiful bit
of evidence, five places out of a required infinity. I do not recall the
details, but massaging Shakespeare's text produced all sorts of claims.
This was used to discount the manipulation that specified Bacon as the
author of Shakespeare's plays.

Of course, since you KNOW that your view is correct, you KNOW that my
critique is vapid, no matter the majority arrayed against you. So you
will continue to wonder how the TRUTH escapes almost all of us.
Dave

On Sat, 18 Sep 2004 21:55:01 +0100 "Vernon Jenkins"