The Curse - Upon All Creation or Just Mankind?

From: Mike Tharp <mtharp@exammaster.com>
Date: Sat Sep 18 2004 - 10:22:18 EDT

In Genesis 3:17, God tells Adam, "cursed is the ground for thy sake". The
ground would be the earth, so the entire earth is cursed, no? Verse 18 goes
on to say, "Thorns also and thistles shall it bring forth." This seems to
indicate that there was some change in at least plant life after the Fall.

In Romans 8:22, Paul writes, "For we know that the whole creation groaneth
and travaileth in pain together until now." This verse seems to indicate
that the entire creation was cursed, not mankind alone.

I would have to agree, though, that "nowhere in scripture does it say that
death, came to all of creation after the fall, only death to man." However,
I also agree with the argument that, if there were death and suffering
before the fall, it seems strange that God would call such a creation "very
good." That death and suffering, both of man and animals, are a result of
the Fall seems to make sense to me.

In Christ,
Mike