Re: Seely's Views 2

From: George Murphy <gmurphy@raex.com>
Date: Tue Sep 14 2004 - 08:12:07 EDT

----- Original Message -----
From: "Jim Armstrong" <jarmstro@qwest.net>
Cc: <asa@calvin.edu>
Sent: Monday, September 13, 2004 11:05 AM
Subject: Re: Seely's Views 2

> An interesting question. Doesn't that mean that we have something like
> this situation: J=A but G=J => G=A.
> Or Christians possibly similarly disconnected from the God of the Old
> Testament? JimA
>
> Stein A. Stromme wrote:
>
> >[George Murphy]
> >
> >| 2) Islam shares historical roots with Christianity and Judaism. But
> >| since the Christian claim is that the fullest self-revelation of
> >| Abraham's God is in the cross & the resurrection of the Crucified, &
> >| since the Qur'an denies that Jesus died on the cross, Christians
> >| have legitimate questions about whether or not Muslims know who the
> >| God of Abraham is. To put it another way, just connecting this God
> >| with the Abraham tradition doesn't mean that they know the character
> >| of God. The question of whether or not Jews, Christians and Muslims
> >| worship the same God is a legitimate one but it isn't a drop dead
> >| answer to that question just to call them all Abrahamic religions.
> >
> >So if we simply ask for the relation between Judaism and Islam,
> >perhaps that makes the question (Jahve =? Allah) easier to answer?
> >
> >SA

The idea that the God revealed in the NT is not the God of the OT is a
classic gnostic belief which should be rejected.

My point was that inter-religious dialogue can't be carried out just in
terms of historical connections between traditions. We have to talk about
what communities believe today.

& this means, BTW, a certain broadening of serious inter-religious dialogue.
Insistence that Jews, Muslims & Christians as "Abrahamic faiths" all worship
the same God carries with it the unstated idea that Christians are
automatically closer theologically to Muslims than they are, say, to Hindus.
Certainly in important ways we are, but in other ways we aren't. (E.g.,
while the Hindu avatar concept differs in significant ways from the
Christian concept of Incarnation, it at least offers some basis for
discussion of the significance of Christ that we don't have with Muslims.)

Shalom
George
http://web.raex.com/~gmurphy/