Re: Seely's Views 2

From: Don Winterstein <dfwinterstein@msn.com>
Date: Fri Sep 10 2004 - 05:00:21 EDT

Glenn wrote:

"... It is that the accommodation is on GODS part. That presents real problems to me."

Scriptural inspiration does not involve accommodation on God's part. When God inspires writing, he is as true as ever. But the inspired writer cannot perceive God fully and accurately. His erroneous preconceptions and dare I say sin cloud his perceptions, so that what he writes is not the full truth but truth distorted by his own imperfections. His writing is nevertheless inspired by God in the sense that what he writes is closer to the truth than other versions of reality extant at the time of writing. Gen. 1-11 is far more truthful than the Babylonian stories of creation and flood, and it is truthful enough to enable the people of the time to come into a salutary relationship with God. If a more accurate story of creation had been necessary to maintain that relationship, then I trust God would have given them one. As it turned out, Gen. 1-11 was adequate and has been so until just yesterday.

God accommodates, but his accommodation is of persons: it lies in his willingness to accept people in their imperfections and misconceptions; and he clearly does not insist that they be perfect in order to come into a salutary relationship with him. I believe that if God had insisted that all the people back then had to have accurate info about him and his creation that he would have blown his prospects for relationship. That's not God's failure but evidence of human limitations.

Scriptural inspiration is basically a flawed, imperfect process; but it is not so because God is transmitting false info but rather because the inspired writers can't apprehend the full truth.

So how can we distinguish Truth from cultural artifact in Scripture? First of all, this distinguishing is not very important for one who lives in a salutary personal relationship with God. The important question for him is whether or not Scripture brings him close to God or separates him from God. But I know you hate that kind of answer. Another answer: through scholarship and research: We study the world and the texts and the environments in which inspired writers wrote, and we draw conclusions. Few such conclusions can be very firm, but they're probably the best that humans can do. So the "existential" route is far more satisfying. And more real.

How do we know that Islam is not superior? Well, the Qur'an contradicts important parts of the Bible, especially those pertaining to the divinity of Christ; so if one accepts Christ, he must accept that Islam is inferior. Still, Mohammed accomplished some things we might consider virtuous, such as the elimination of idolatry among his followers and the acknowledgement that the God of the Bible was the true God. I still think that the sons of Ishmael would on the whole have had a difficult time accepting a son of Isaac as divine, as the two lineages were forever fighting one another; but I won't pursue this further here. As to Jesus' statement that "...No one comes to the Father except through me," well, this obviously requires interpretation. For example, in what way did Elijah, Jeremiah, etc. come to God through Jesus? Jesus IMO was obviously thinking of himself as the Word, as one who was a human body but far more.

And let's not judge all Muslims by those who die by murdering civilians or children. We would not want Christianity to be judged by those pious Christian souls who instigated the crusades or carried out various inquisitions and murders in the name of God.

As to why I try to view Islam in the most positive light possible--if God is love, must he not have arranged to save more than a tiny fraction of humans? If we write off the 1.5 billion Chinese and the 1 billion Indians, let's try to squeeze in at least a few of the 1 billion Muslims. Perhaps the Word has spread farther than we think, and God has accommodated himself to more people than we suspect.

Don