RE: PBS: Can We Believe in Both Science and Religion?

From: Steve Bishop <stevebishop_uk@hotmail.com>
Date: Sat Sep 04 2004 - 04:26:14 EDT

The problem of science and religion it seems to me is one of defining
‘religion’. There is no consensus.

I like the way that Roy Clouser in his Myth of Religious Neutrality
(University of Notre Dame Press, 1991, pp. 21-22):

A religious belief is any belief in something or other as divine...
'Divine' means having the status of not depending on anything else.

Hence, a religion is a worldview or ideology that attributes the status or
nature of divinity to something or someone; it does not necessarily have a
cultic dimension.

I have attempted to develop a typology for science and religion (Evangelical
Quarterly LXII (1) (Jan 2000)):