Fw: Seely's Views 2

From: Innovatia <dennis@innovatia.com>
Date: Thu Sep 02 2004 - 22:53:36 EDT

From: Don Winterstein

"Perfect" means complete. The Bible itself witnesses that it is imperfect. Those who read the Bible from beginning to end with understanding will note that revelation evolved considerably through the centuries. Example: How accurately are universal truths of God conveyed by all the laws of Exodus, Leviticus and Numbers that require multitudes of animal sacrifices day after day? How important to God were all those "pleasing aromas"? The prophets already downgrade their importance: "I desire mercy, not sacrifice." Early Christians on their own initiative decided those laws along with many other rules and regulations had become dispensable or obsolete. Revelation improved, took a big step forward.

The followers of Marcion took this line of reasoning to its logical conclusion and threw out the entire Old Testament. It is possible, however, to view, at varying stages of development in historical revelation, the meaning of it in view of the full and final revelation of God in Jesus Christ and the cross. That doesn't make the Law obsolete to us, but (as was discussed somewhat recently on the list) our understanding of it would be lacking if we were not to understand it in the conceptual framework of the gospel.

Genesis 1-11 unfortunately come first in the Bible, but in no way are those chapters first in importance!

Genesis 1:1 is what distinguishes biblical belief from non-transcendent religions, and the Garden story also establishes a foundational (and unchanged) basis for understanding the nature of humanity in the fall, free will, the basic moral dilemma, God's basic relationship to man, etc.

Dennis Feucht