Re: Seely's Views 2

From: <Dawsonzhu@aol.com>
Date: Fri Sep 03 2004 - 00:07:06 EDT

Glenn Morton wrote:

> But God isn't finite. Why can't he simply tell a true history. Why does
> he have to tell something that we can't count on as being true? How
> little power a god like that has.

I do find your idea of a "day of proclamation" one of
the better ways to harmonize that section of Genesis
with science.

But it is also hard to avoid admitting that the accounts
in Gen 1-11 strain the imagination to harmonize. I think
this is the main reason why we need to be very cautious
when acting on faith. I think we do need to ask that
unpleasant question: "what if I'm wrong,... then what?".

Actually, as a grad student, I had to teach from a
lab manual that was badly written and riddled with
mistakes. My supervisor's reason for continuing to
use such an atrocious manual: "the students need to
learn critical thinking". I don't know why God choses
such a straining way sometimes, I cannot understand why
God does not rise up and punish the wicked and stands
back while horrible things happen either, but like the
disciples said to Jesus: "where else can we go?".

by Grace alone we proceed,
Wayne