Re: Seely's Views 2

From: gordon brown <gbrown@euclid.colorado.edu>
Date: Thu Sep 02 2004 - 15:16:12 EDT

On Wed, 1 Sep 2004 PASAlist@aol.com wrote:

> Jesus Christ's accepted the idea that inspired Scripture can contain
> accommodation (Matt 19:8). If you want to reject his insight, fine. But, be
> consistent. If you are going to follow human tradition's assumption that inspiration
> guarantees that an inspired account is scientifically accurate, admit that on
> that basis the Sumerian flood account has more claim to being inspired than the
> biblical account.

Accommodation to hardness of heart is not sufficiently close to
accommodation to popular stories to necessitate acceptance of one
requiring acceptance of the other. The one concerns whether something is
right or wrong morally and the other whether some story is true or false.
It seems to me better to separate the two even if we use the same word,
accommodation, in reference to both.

Gordon Brown
Department of Mathematics
University of Colorado