Re: Seely's Views 2

From: D. F. Siemens, Jr. <dfsiemensjr@juno.com>
Date: Wed Sep 01 2004 - 16:18:57 EDT

On Tue, 31 Aug 2004 18:05:20 -0500 "Glenn Morton"
<glennmorton@entouch.net> writes:

> [...]
Glenn,
with the kind of proof in math and logic, "truth" is at best conditional.
We recognize truth as an absolute standard which we hope to approach. But
truth is a requirement for knowledge. So knowledge can only be to the
best of our ability (and hope). The only way out of this that I have
found is the declaration, "I'm right [which implies holding only the
truth]! And if you don't believe I'm right, ask me, and I'll tell you how
right I am." Of course, most people holding such a view do not state it
publicly: it's a tacit commitment.

As to what part of revelation is imperfect, all of it with the exception
of Jesus Christ, and the information about him comes to us through finite
human witnesses. Consequently, we do the best we can with the evidence,
much as a jury does when dealing with witnesses who have sworn to "tell
the truth, the whole truth, and nothing but the truth" and disagree.

I note also that most of us require translations to approach the
scriptures. Even those who have gained familiarity with the original
languages have to admit that they are not certain that they understand
them fully. Beyond this, do you recall the Italian proverb, "Traduttore,
traditore"?
Dave