RE: Seely's Views 2

From: Roberts, Joe <Joe.Roberts@thecb.state.tx.us>
Date: Wed Sep 01 2004 - 10:55:56 EDT

awesome

-----Original Message-----
From: asa-owner@lists.calvin.edu [mailto:asa-owner@lists.calvin.edu] On
Behalf Of Don Winterstein
Sent: Wednesday, September 01, 2004 2:13 AM
To: Bob Barnett
Cc: asa
Subject: Re: Seely's Views 2

Bob Barnett wrote:

"If we allow for imperfection in God's revelation in Scripture, then we
open
a door that I don't think we want to enter...."

I Cor. 13:8-10: "...Where there are prophecies, they will cease....For
we know in part and we prophesy in part, but when perfection comes, the
imperfect disappears." (NIV)

"Perfect" means complete. The Bible itself witnesses that it is
imperfect. Those who read the Bible from beginning to end with
understanding will note that revelation evolved considerably through the
centuries. Example: How accurately are universal truths of God
conveyed by all the laws of Exodus, Leviticus and Numbers that require
multitudes of animal sacrifices day after day? How important to God
were all those "pleasing aromas"? The prophets already downgrade their
importance: "I desire mercy, not sacrifice." Early Christians on their
own initiative decided those laws along with many other rules and
regulations had become dispensable or obsolete. Revelation improved,
took a big step forward.

What is so hard to swallow about the idea that God may have
incrementally altered the myths and preconceptions of the patriarchs in
order to fit himself into their culture? Despite God's early
revelations of himself, those people had a very poor understanding of
who he was. I believe that partly because of deeply held erroneous
preconceptions they were psychologically incapable of receiving
revelation of any higher quality than what they got. Our understanding
is better but not perfect. We are probably also psychologically
incapable of receiving anything better than what we have.

Genesis 1-11 unfortunately come first in the Bible, but in no way are
those chapters first in importance!

"If we claim that the Bible, or any part of it, is an imperfect
revelation
and contains myth, how will we sort out the error from the truth?"

Sorting is one of our ongoing tasks in daily life as well as in Bible
reading. But "truth" in the Bible is of no value if it does not bring
us to God. Personally I've never found that any part of the Bible
separates me from God, even though I think some writings contain
narratives that are inaccurate or untrue by scientific standards. On
the contrary, Bible reading almost invariably brings God close. I guess
that's why I believe the whole thing is inspired.

Don