Re: Genesis 30 translation and interpretation

From: George Murphy <>
Date: Wed Jun 02 2004 - 20:15:28 EDT

----- Original Message -----
From: "Chuck Austerberry" <>
To: <>
Sent: Wednesday, June 02, 2004 4:46 PM
Subject: Genesis 30 translation and interpretation

> Though attempts to defend the Bible as a science text are a waste of time,
some attempts to discredit the Bible based on science are also misguided.
> If interested in my take on such a weblog debate re. Jacob, Laban, and
genetics in Genesis 30, see

Chuck -
        Westermann's comment on the matter in his smaller Genesis commentary
is perhaps of interest: "There are magical notions in the background, but
the critical element in the case of Jacob is his intention to breed for a
specific purpose by using his knowledge of animal behavior." [Claus
Westermann, Genesis: A Practical Commentary (William B. Eerdmans, Grand
Rapids MI, 1987), p.214.]