Re: sharia law allowed in Ontario

From: Michael Roberts <michael.andrea.r@ukonline.co.uk>
Date: Mon May 31 2004 - 17:44:51 EDT

Denyse

If any of us can find 70 errors in your book, can we have a coconut?

From previous postings it is clear to several on this list that you
misunderstand a lot about evolution and are not willing to listen to others

Michael
----- Original Message -----
From: "Denyse O'Leary" <oleary@sympatico.ca>
To: "John W Burgeson" <jwburgeson@juno.com>
Cc: <asa@calvin.edu>
Sent: Monday, May 31, 2004 6:37 PM
Subject: Re: sharia law allowed in Ontario

>
> John W Burgeson wrote:
> >>>>... Canada to decide what they stand for. They only
> >>
> >>know what they do not stand for - Christianity!>>
> >>
> > I wrote: "I understand that claim, but I don't know any grounds for it.
> > Do you?"
> >
> >
> >>>Well, in Canada, diversity rules, except for the fact that there have
> >
> > been many examples of explicit discrimination against Christianity.>>
> >
> > 1. Do you, then, dislike diversity? Do you see people different from you
> > as a threat? I hope not.
>
> The difficulty occurs when a government is
> uncertain of the values by which it wishes to
> govern. All roads do not lead in the same direction.
>
> Sharia law, for example, has very different
> implications for women than Ontario Family Court
> does.
>
> > 2. Examples of discrimmination are anecdotal, and not usually grounds
for
> > a claim. Your article in the fundamentalist CHRISTIANITY TODAY is
> > interesting, but hardly grounds for the claim.
>
> Examples of discrimination are ALWAYS anecdotal,
> by definition. The claim is only made when
> people have decided to fight the discrimination.
>
> In any event, I am not sure that any evidence
> would convince you, in view of your statements
> below.
>
> > (Yes, I know CT is not usually seen as fundy. I used to subscribe to it
> > when it was less sure of itself and I was more conservative. I still
read
> > it at the library on occasion but it left me many many years ago. In
many
> > ways, I find the CHRISTIAN CENTURY equally offputting on the other
side).
>
> By the way, in case anyone is interested, my
> book, "By Design or by Chance?", received a
> favourable review in the Toronto Star.
>
> Here is a bit of skinny:
>
> - 0 -
>
> I am really pleased with this review of By
> Design or by Chance?, not least because the
> author takes pains to identify FACTS about the
> controversy, rather than starting off with
> opinions and staying there. Mind you, Kathy
> Shaidle is good that way. She is best known as
> the "relapsed Catholic" (= an ex-liberal, now
> orthodox Catholic) - Denyse
>
> Linked:
>
http://www.thestar.com/NASApp/cs/ContentServer?pagename=thestar/Layout/Artic
le_Type1&c=Article&cid=1085609412041&call_pageid=970599119419
>
> May 29, 2004. 01:00 AM
> Darwin vs. divine design
> Toronto author tackles unending conflict between
> science and religion, creationism and evolution
> Even among creationists, biblical literalists
> take issue with the intelligent design camp.
>
>
> By Design Or By Chance:
>
> The Growing Controversy On The Origins Of Life
> In The Universe
>
> by Denyse O'Leary
>
> Castle Quay, 368 pages, $21.95
> "Of the three grand old men of the 19th century
> (or dead white males, depending on your point of
> view) who dominated the thinking of the 20th
> century -- Marx, Freud and Darwin -- only Darwin
> is left. Will he follow Marx and Freud into
> oblivion?"
>
> By Design Or By Chance
>
> Jerome Lawrence co-wrote 39 plays, a dozen of
> which made it to Broadway. When he died in March
> at age 88, only one was mentioned in the first
> line of every obituary: Inherit The Wind.
>
> All these obits allowed that Inherit The Wind
> (first staged in 1955, then filmed in 1960) was
> "a fictionalized treatment of the Scopes Monkey
> Trial" of 1925, when a Tennessee teacher faced
> jail time for teaching evolution.
>
> Just how fictional, few are aware. In her new
> book By Design Or By Chance? The Growing
> Controversy On The Origins Of Life In The
> Universe, Toronto journalist Denyse O'Leary sets
> the record straight:
>
> "One Calvin College professor has been in the
> habit of giving out a prize -- a coconut -- to
> the student who spots the most historical errors
> in the movie, after taking his `Monkey Trial'
> course, which includes reading the trial
> transcript. Over 70 errors have been identified
> so far."
>
> She calls Inherit The Wind "a propaganda movie"
> that "teaches no biology whatsoever. It does,
> however, teach contempt for evangelical
> Christians."
>
> - 0 -
>
> cheers,
>
> Denyse
>
>
> --
> Read brief excerpts from my book, By Design or
> by Chance?: The Growing Controversy On the
> Origins of Life in the Universe (Augsburg
> Fortress, 2004) at
>
> http://www.designorchance.com/press.html
>
> To order, go to
>
>
http://www.augsburgbooks.com/store/itemcontributor.asp?contributorcode=4630
>
> Denyse O'Leary
> 14 Latimer Avenue
> Toronto, Ontario, CANADA M5N 2L8
> Tel: 416 485-2392
> Fax: (phone or e-mail first)
> oleary@sympatico.ca
> www.designorchance.com
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
Received on Mon, 31 May 2004 22:44:51 +0100

This archive was generated by hypermail 2.1.8 : Mon May 31 2004 - 19:41:21 EDT