Re: sharia law allowed in Ontario

From: gordon brown <gbrown@euclid.colorado.edu>
Date: Mon May 31 2004 - 17:30:06 EDT

On Mon, 31 May 2004, John W Burgeson wrote:

> >>Well, in Canada, diversity rules, except for the fact that there have
> been many examples of explicit discrimination against Christianity.>>
>
> 2. Examples of discrimmination are anecdotal, and not usually grounds for
> a claim. Your article in the fundamentalist CHRISTIANITY TODAY is
> interesting, but hardly grounds for the claim.

It seems to be increasingly easy to find examples in the U.S. also of
discrimination against Christians. A Denver judge ordered a woman not to
teach her daughter that homosexuality is wrong. Courts tend more and more
to rule that freedom of religion in the First Amendment means freedom from
religion (=Christianity). I wonder how inclined they would be to deny
Buddhists the rights that they deny Christians. Christianity is not
politically correct.

There was an incident here at the University of Colorado a number of years
ago when Jesse Jackson was invited to speak at the Law School's
commencement exercises. At the end of his talk he asked his audience to
join hands while he prayed. This was not reported at the time but was
mentioned sometime later by people commenting on another church-state
issue. This incident must have been a dilemma for the politically correct.
Can you imagine what the reaction would have been if it had been Jerry
Falwell or Franklin Graham who had done this rather than Jesse Jackson?

As for the comment about Christianity Today, the word 'fundamentalist' has
evolved in meaning to something rather vague, and its main use seems to be
as a pejorative. Not too many people today would choose this term as their
preferred way of identifying themselves.

The current situation in Canada seems to me to be even more frightening
than that in the U.S. A recent newsmagazine article pointed out that
Canada has no First Amendment. The situation several years ago with
Trinity Western in which some provincial court decided that students who
pledged not to engage in homosexual activity were therefore not qualified
to teach school is a clear example of what I would call antiChristian
discrimination, and I doubt that this will be only an isolated instance of
such discrimination.

Gordon Brown
Department of Mathematics
University of Colorado