Re: (no subject)

From: Jan de Koning <jan@dekoning.ca>
Date: Mon May 31 2004 - 14:33:17 EDT

At 02:18 PM 01/07/2004 -0400, wallyshoes wrote:
>John W Burgeson wrote:
>
>snip
>

> > "2.) There are indeed financial benefits to being married. Some of
>them I
> > dislike -- like all the social security benefits etc. We :libertarians
>
> > would
> > be happier if these social programs never came into existence. The
>world
> > worked fine before them. There are numerous people trying to stick
>their
> > hands in the taxpayers pockets. Now there will be more."
> >
> > Yeah. The world worked fine. For those who had wealth. For those left
>on
> > the short end of the stick, too bad.
> >
> > "Let them eat cake," said Marie. She got what she deserved.
>
>Typical burgy cynicism.
>
>I was dirt poor as a kid. & the system worked fine without the
>government.
>Charities did what needed to be done. If you were sick, you got heath
>care
>(doctor or hospital) for little or for zero $. If you were an orphan,
>there
>were homes for you and you had the benefits that most medium income
>people
>did. I knew orphans and later worked for one. If you were old and
>without a
>support system, charities took care of you.
>
>It is only you political liberals who think that the government is the
>solution to all our social problems.

Not only the liberals, so say the conservatives. But read the Bible on
poverty, and how we should react: Ezekiel 16: 49 ff. where God tells us
how to deal with poverty. In the present circumstances voluntary giving is
not enough, as a matter of fact, I read that personal giving is down to
about 2% of income on average. The Lord tells us in Ezekiel how He will
deal with those who do not want to deal with the issue of poverty.

Jan de Koning