Re: Church-State -- some history

From: John W Burgeson <jwburgeson@juno.com>
Date: Mon May 31 2004 - 12:56:58 EDT

Jan wrote: "Is it? A few weeks ago I saw a list of countries felt to be
most
democratic in a e-mail. I did not save that e-mail unfortunately. In a
list of most democratic nations the USA was near the bottom. Several
European nations were near the top. ."

I might have to agree with you on this, Jan. I wrote "the American
Political System" because I was thinking as an American, and naturally I
want OUR system to be the best. That was patriotic chauvinism, for which
I apologize. It indeed may be that there are other countries in which the
gov't does work better; I hope you can find that list and some of the
citations it must make to ground the claims.

"Agreeing that a system is "messy, inefficient, and it is all too easy to
prosper in it at the expense of the poor" means that measures should be
taken to improve the system."

You bet! Maybe that's why I tend to be a liberal. What we have now so
heavily favors "those who already have" over "those who have little" that
systemic changes DO have to be made. Bush thinks tax cuts for the rich
and benefit cuts for the poor and needy does this; it is part of his
compassionate conservatism position. An oxymoron if there ever was one. I
note that he does not use that phrase anymore.

Burgy

Ubi Caritas

Surf the Web up to FIVE TIMES FASTER!