Re: Church-State -- some history

From: John W Burgeson <jwburgeson@juno.com>
Date: Sun May 30 2004 - 12:08:27 EDT

>>I expect less abuse of power than I see in states that exploit their
"right"
to do almost anything in the name of a privileged status relative to God
or
Allah.>>

Good reply, Howard.

When a person says he is "on God's side," I look for an exit.

We all try to be on God's side, of course, but citing that as a reason
for a coercive law is evil business.

The best book on this concept I've seen is When Religion Becomes Evil, by
Charles Kimball, which I reviewed last year in PERSPECTIVES. A copy of
that review is at

www.burgy.50megs.com/evil.htm

Burgy

Ubi Caritas