Re: Church-State -- some history

From: John W Burgeson <jwburgeson@juno.com>
Date: Sun May 30 2004 - 12:26:15 EDT

>>> I expect less abuse of power than I see in states that exploit their
"right"
> to do almost anything in the name of a privileged status relative to
God or
> Allah.

Such expectation seems highly unrealistic in light of the behavior of
governments that explicitly claim as highest authority "the proletariat"
or "the master race." >>

I would argue that both the USSR and Nazi Germany claimed allegiance to a
god they named either Stalin" or "Hitler." A god need not be supernatural
to engender evil.

The current American political system is messy, inefficient, and it is
all too easy to prosper in it at the expense of the poor. It is like an
old jalopy, breaking down at times, held together with duct tape and
hairpins, uncomfortable, slow, and emits an incredible amount of
pollution as it goes.

It's still better than all other forms of gov't so far tried.

"Many forms of gov't have been tried, and will be tried in this world of
sin and woe. No one pretends that democracy is perfect or all-wise.
Indeed, it has been said that democracy is the worst form of gov't except
all those other forms that have been tried from time to time."
-- Churchill

Burgy

Ubi Caritas

Surf the Web up to FIVE TIMES FASTER!