Re: Church-State -- some history

From: William Hamilton <whamilton51@comcast.net>
Date: Fri May 28 2004 - 12:03:06 EDT

On Friday, May 28, 2004, at 09:47 AM, Howard J. Van Till wrote:

> ;) Without doubt, institutional religion and national government are
> highly relevant to one another. Both are humanly constructed
> institutions
> that serve to regulate the behavior of their members. Each can be of
> significant benefit to its constituency, but when the two become one,
> watch
> out!

Agreed. Still, if Christianity is true, then it ought to serve as an
influence for good in society, and Christian influence should both be
exerted on and welcomed by the government. (Some of what I say is of
course true of other religions as well) But the "show no favoritism"
attitude of government, which I believe is proper, too easily develops
into an "exclude religion from the public square" mindset.
Bill Hamilton Rochester, MI 248 652 4148