Re: Church-State -- some history

From: William Hamilton <whamilton51@comcast.net>
Date: Fri May 28 2004 - 05:44:05 EDT

On Wednesday, May 26, 2004, at 08:12 PM, Howard J. Van Till wrote:

> As I have already indicated, I am just as much opposed to a government
> that
> thinks of itself as specially sanctioned by the God of the
> Judeo-Christian
> Bible as to a government that thinks itself as specially sanctioned by
> the
> God of the Koran. Do you not see the parallel temptations to justify
> almost
> any action by appeal to divine approval or privileged divine blessing
> (God
> is on our side, not yours)? Are not the Crusades of the past or the
> Islamic
> Fundamentalist states of the present sufficient evidence of how the
> power of
> the state is likely to be corrupted by appeal to special divinely
> sanctioned
> privileges and rights?

Generally I agree -- but not without a few reservations. The downside
(one of them) to secular government is that it
is very likely that in its zeal to show favoritism to no one religion
over another, the government will give the impression -- especially in
the schools -- that religion is irrelevant.

Bill Hamilton Rochester, MI 248 652 4148