Fwd: Sustainable Oil? From WorldNet Daily

From: William Hamilton <whamilton51@comcast.net>
Date: Wed May 26 2004 - 19:12:55 EDT

This sounds like pollyanna quackery to me, but since it mentions a
formation in the Gulf of Mexico, which Glenn is familiar with, and
probably other places he's familiar with, I thought I'd forward this to
the list for Glenn's comments.

Begin forwarded message:

> From: Bill Hamilton <william.e.hamiltonjr@gm.com>
> Date: Wed May 26, 2004 6:31:56 PM America/Detroit
> To: "whamilton51@comcast.net" <whamilton51@comcast.net>
> Subject: A WorldNetDaily.com article from william.e.hamiltonjr@gm.com
>
> You have been sent this message from Bill Hamilton
> (william.e.hamiltonjr@gm.com) as a courtesy of WorldNetDaily.com
> (http://www.worldnetdaily.com).
>

> To view the entire article, visit
> http://www.worldnetdaily.com/news/article.asp?ARTICLE_ID=38645
>
> Tuesday, May 25, 2004
> Sustainable oil?
> By Chris Bennett

> 1:00 a.m. Eastern
>
> About 80 miles off of the coast of Louisiana lies a mostly submerged
> mountain, the top of which is known as Eugene Island. The portion
> underwater is an eerie-looking, sloping tower jutting up from the
> depths of the Gulf of Mexico, with deep fissures and perpendicular
> faults which spontaneously spew natural gas. A significant reservoir
> of crude oil was discovered nearby in the late '60s, and by 1970, a
> platform named Eugene 330 was busily producing about 15,000 barrels a
> day of high-quality crude oil.
>
> By the late '80s, the platform's production had slipped to less than
> 4,000 barrels per day, and was considered pumped out. Done. Suddenly,
> in 1990, production soared back to 15,000 barrels a day, and the
> reserves which had been estimated at 60 million barrels in the '70s,
> were recalculated at 400 million barrels. Interestingly, the measured
> geological age of the new oil was quantifiably different than the oil
> pumped in the '70s.
>
> Analysis of seismic recordings revealed the presence of a "deep fault"
> at the base of the Eugene Island reservoir which was gushing up a
> river of oil from some deeper and previously unknown source.
>

> Similar results were seen at other Gulf of Mexico oil wells. Similar
> results were found in the Cook Inlet oil fields in Alaska. Similar
> results were found in oil fields in Uzbekistan. Similarly in the
> Middle East, where oil exploration and extraction have been underway
> for at least the last 20 years, known reserves have doubled. Currently
> there are somewhere in the neighborhood of 680 billion barrels of
> Middle East reserve oil.
>
> Creating that much oil would take a big pile of dead dinosaurs and
> fermenting prehistoric plants. Could there be another source for crude
> oil?
>
> An intriguing theory now permeating oil company research staffs
> suggests that crude oil may actually be a natural inorganic product,
> not a stepchild of unfathomable time and organic degradation. The
> theory suggests there may be huge, yet-to-be-discovered reserves of
> oil at depths that dwarf current world estimates.
>
> The theory is simple: Crude oil forms as a natural inorganic process
> which occurs between the mantle and the crust, somewhere between 5 and
> 20 miles deep. The proposed mechanism is as follows:

> [...]

Bill Hamilton Rochester, MI 248 652 4148