Re: Church-State -- some history

From: Howard J. Van Till <hvantill@sbcglobal.net>
Date: Mon May 24 2004 - 14:36:07 EDT

On 5/24/04 12:55 PM, "Innovatia" <dennis@innovatia.com> wrote:

> My biggest concern at this point in life is not so much a person's political
> views as that they look beyond the many misleading appearances and find out
> what is really going on behnd the scenes. It's a whole different political
> world back-stage. Too many false dielectics (Republican-Democrat,
> liberal-conservative) distract many from investigating what those in power
> are up to.

That's why I would have just as much fear of a government teamed up with
Christian fundamentalism as I would of a government teamed up with Islamic
or Jewish fundamentalism.

Separation of institutional religion from governmental power is, I believe,
essential to human survival. Let us work toward a thoroughly secular and
pluralistic government dedicated to the equal protection of people of all
religious affiliations, all national/ethnic origins, all socioeconomic
ranks, etc.

When the state beds down with one institutional religion at the exclusion of
others, both the state and religion are, I believe, likely to become
corrupted in the long run. Intoxication with state power to enforce
religious conformity is likely to corrupt religion, and exploitative claims
for divine warrant for governmental action is likely to corrupt government.

Howard Van Till