Re: RE: Shapes of a Wedge

From: jack syme <drsyme@cablespeed.com>
Date: Sat May 22 2004 - 12:36:05 EDT

> In any case, religious arguments aside, does the state have an interest
> in what consenting adults do in private?
>
> Gordon also wrote: " Maybe the fundamental question that should be asked
> is what interest the government should have in
> officially recognizing any marriage and then whether or not that would
> apply to gays."
>
> That is also a useful question, although, again, I would replace the word
> "gays" with "two same gender adults."
>
> The state does have an interest in relationship stability, I would argue.
> And "Two adult same gender marriage" would seem to contribute to that
> interest.

I think it is clear that the state has an interest in domestic
relationships, of the long-term-committed-to-one-other-person type. And the
interests are widespread and involve things such as financial and economic
concerns, child rearing and adoption, to proxy decision making. So, the
state needs to have a definition of marriage, and a means to make marriages
happen, that is free of any religious reasoning, and without involving
religious institutions, if we are serious about keeping church and state
separate. Something that is debatable of course, but I suspect, thinking as
a Christian believer, that we probably do want.

Of course marriages from the perspective of believers, should be performed
in a church. What we do in our churches, and who can get married in them,
is up to the churches of course, and the state should have no say in it. So
if a same sex couple wants to get married in the state's eyes, they should
be able to. This does not mean that any church has to recognize the civil
marriage as such, and would perform its own ceremonies under its own belief
system.