Re: RE: Shapes of a Wedge

From: John W Burgeson <jwburgeson@juno.com>
Date: Sat May 22 2004 - 10:55:24 EDT

Gordon wrote: "Gays talk about rights deriving from marriage that they
think they
deserve, but if they want rights that are not available to celibate
roommates, aren't they asking for an implied endorsement (or maybe even
encouragement) of their sexual practices?"

Insofar as questions about one's sexual practices are not part of
marriage, but are private, I don't think the question is well put. Let me
rephrase it as follows:

"Two adults in a same gender domestic relationship talk about rights
deriving from marriage that they think they deserve, but if they want
rights that are not available to roommates, aren't they asking for an
implied endorsement (or maybe even
encouragement) of their sexual practices?"

When posed this way, the easily seen answer is "no."

There are some two-adult same-gender domestic relationships which (1)
have been in place over decades and (2) involve people quite elderly. A
fair number involve people who live together just because they like each
other; no genital intimacy involved. Examples are not hard to find.

In these, sexual practices are not an issue, nor should they be.

In any case, religious arguments aside, does the state have an interest
in what consenting adults do in private?

Gordon also wrote: " Maybe the fundamental question that should be asked
is what interest the government should have in
officially recognizing any marriage and then whether or not that would
apply to gays."

That is also a useful question, although, again, I would replace the word
"gays" with "two same gender adults."

The state does have an interest in relationship stability, I would argue.
And "Two adult same gender marriage" would seem to contribute to that
interest.

Burgy

Ubi Caritas

Surf the Web up to FIVE TIMES FASTER!