RE: National Geographic Peak Oil

From: Glenn Morton <glennmorton@entouch.net>
Date: Sat May 22 2004 - 09:41:15 EDT

I think you mean fusuion reactors. No doubt, but regardless of what the
price of oil does this year, whether it stays high and goes higher or
drops because OPEC does produce more oil, the day is soon coming when
OPEC will have no more spare capacity. We have to do something.

> The number that _could_ be built far exceeds zero. The time
> to start is now but some people will probably wait until we
> the crisis is upon us ==> and some are just waiting for fission :-)

Agreed. But we will have to go through the political process first of
blaming the oil companies. I saw a conservative think tank lawyer say
that we should take OPEC to court under the anti-trust laws. Sarcastic
mode on: That will change the laws of physics for sure!!!! [sarcastic
mode off] I have seen other reports claiming that the oil industry is
not putting oil on the market to increase prices and get more profits.
The demigogues of politics will pursue that agenda if they think it is
to their advantage. That will slow down the solutions, if any, to the
coming oil supply problem. Look, 2 years ago when California was having
blackouts a town voted NOT to build an electrical generating plant in
their town, even if it would give them first crack at the electricity.
I think the demogogues have a ready field for exploitation among the
populace.