Re: Church-State -- some history

From: John W Burgeson <jwburgeson@juno.com>
Date: Fri May 21 2004 - 15:59:54 EDT

My friendly opposer Dennis writes: "George Murphy seems to have pursued
that line sufficiently. (I think he's
basically correct.)"

We can disagree here and it does not divide us.

"I must apologize a bit for the scatteredness of my response, but at
bottom I
think the issue of the P.O. posting rests upon and is determined by more
basic issues which have to do with how we as Christians should regard
politics overall. It seems to me that most American Christians become
ambivalent as Christians when the topic of politics arises because of
divided political loyalties between the kingdom of Christ and Washington
or
the U.S., between God's law and human laws. "

I think we would definitely agree on that.

"However, I don't know if you want to pursue this issue in that direction
either."

It is tempting to do so, Dennis, but I think we would quickly find
ourselves in a morass. But if you wish ... .

Such a tension is exactly what led Billy Gobitis into the court case of
the 40s, for he saw his duty to God as overriding the state's command to
salute the flag.

That kind of tension is behind the recent edict by the Co Springs
Catholic bishop that made the news this week.

It must be difficult to be a politician and keep your integrity.

And how many of us will speak out if such speaking out is not in the best
interests of our employer?

I guess Glenn might be among those few.

As a result of speaking out on this LISTSERV (and several others) for gay
rights, I have received a fair number of emails of support from lurkers
who, because their employers might not approve, will not speak publicly.
I do not fault them for remaining silent, for I do not walk in their
shoes.

I did not always speak out when I was a gov't physicist or an IBM
employee either. In retrospect, I think that in some cases I should have.
 But one cannot step into the same river twice.

It is easier when you are retired and "they can't get you." <G>

Burgy

Ubi Caritas

Surf the Web up to FIVE TIMES FASTER!