RE: Moorad's assumed timeline

From: Glenn Morton <glennmorton@entouch.net>
Date: Fri May 21 2004 - 09:53:48 EDT

Basically, this is a nomenclatural change. Not much more. The Ediacaran
Stage of the Algonkian Period of the Proterozoic(Neoproterozoic of the
article) Eon of the Precambrian Era has now been changed to the
Ediacaran Period of the Proterozoic Eon of the Precabmrain age (using
the nomenclature of Haq and Eysinga's 5th edition of the Geologic Time
Scale, Elsevier, 1998.

  It has been known for a long time that the Ediacaran stage was
special. At the base were a couple of glacial ages and then the first
signs of macroscopic life forms which grow in number from 600-545
million years ago. What they have done is recognize the importance of
that period of geologic history.

The argument of the Vendian vs the Ediacaran name involves more than
just priority. The Vendian was first, but in the Haq and Eysinga chart
on my wall, the Vendian is bigger than just the Ediacaran. The Ediacaran
is the uppermost part of the Vendian, and that may have played a role in
rejecting the Vendian.