RE: Moorad's assumed timeline

From: bivalve <bivalve@mail.davidson.alumlink.com>
Date: Thu May 20 2004 - 17:16:02 EDT

> In historical geology, evolutionary theory, etc. there are no mathematical models and so the workers in those fields fit the data also in an assumed timeline.<

There are quite a few mathematical models used in these areas. However, I suspect that the main difference is that historical geology and evolutionary theory are often being applied to very specific examples, whereas cosmology is typically much more general. There are good models of galaxy evolution and good models of gene evolution. Coming up with mathematical models that predict the existence of the Milky Way or Homo sapiens is probably impossible, though one can find ways to examine the existing evidence regarding how either of these did come into existence.

    Dr. David Campbell
    Old Seashells
    University of Alabama
    Biodiversity & Systematics