Re: RE: Shapes of a Wedge

From: John W Burgeson <jwburgeson@juno.com>
Date: Thu May 20 2004 - 15:33:54 EDT

>>It is misleading to label colleges and universities as liberal because
their humanities and social sciences departments are. The views of those
in the engineering or business colleges may be very different.>>

Possibly so. Although I recall the days of "conservative" Joe McCarthy
well, for I was in college then studying physics. McCarthy (who, by the
way, "conservative" Ann Coulter is trying to resurrect as a really a good
guy, just misunderstood), was considered as an idiot at Carnegie Tech and
Florida State in the Physics department.

I really don't recall even one person who would speak out for him.
Communism was an "ever present danger" in those days, but people had
enough sense to recognize that shady tactics were worse than the threat.

I was a Republican then because the Democrats (particularly the Southern
Democrats) were clearly racist.

Most of them (Southern Democrats) seem to have become Republicans in the
ensuing 50 years. Much of the racism (not all) also appears to have worn
off. That is a good thing.

Burgy

Ubi Caritas

Surf the Web up to FIVE TIMES FASTER!