Re: RE: Shapes of a Wedge

From: John W Burgeson <jwburgeson@juno.com>
Date: Thu May 20 2004 - 15:23:59 EDT

Bill wrote: "Well, I suppose for one individual to speak out doesn't make
the silence less than deafening, but
I agree that Billy Gobitas and others who would prefer not to recite the
Pledge of Allegiance
have a right to refrain. And though I consider myself a conservative,
I agree that all the advances you list above are truly advances that --
sadly -- were
not supported initially by most conservatives. There was a time in the
not
to distant past when today's conservatives were referred to as liberals
because
they espoused individual freedom as opposed to Government control."

One is a heck of a lot more than zero, Bill. Thanks.

(Although I did get one off line response in agreement).

I once thought I was a conservative. In some ways, I still am. But
today's "conservatives" are a new breed, and I attribute much of that
change to their climbing in the sack with Jerry Falwell, Rush Limbaugh,
Pat Robertson, James Dobson and a host of other people who seek to make
the rest of society conform to their particular twisted ideas. "Freedom,"
for these people, and I include our current President, means "freedom to
be like me." "1984" is not here yet; it is coming. Orwell just got the
date wrong.

Burgy

Ubi Caritas

Surf the Web up to FIVE TIMES FASTER!