RE: Moorad's assumed timeline

From: Alexanian, Moorad <alexanian@uncw.edu>
Date: Thu May 20 2004 - 15:17:52 EDT

If science deals with the physical aspect of the universe, then the subject matter of science is data that can, in principle, be collected by purely physical devices. That is my definition of science. Of course, if what is life cannot be reduced to the physical, then “life” cannot be detected by purely physical devices. Note that living things or being can be detected by purely physical devices but the essence of what life is would be outside of the purview of science. Certainly, one can collect the same data by different means. What is new? I would change my commitment if someone puts forward a more compelling definition of what science is!

Moorad