Re: RE: Shapes of a Wedge

From: Robert Schneider <rjschn39@bellsouth.net>
Date: Wed May 19 2004 - 23:26:01 EDT

Moorad,

I suspect that many of my colleagues in the humanities who are rather
conservative would be surprised and amused to find themselves labeled
"radical leftists." I've remained a progressive in my old age, but I never
could find Marxist theory in "The Aeneid" (though there's a bit of primitive
communism in the early chapters of Acts).

Another point amidst all this talk about "liberals" running the academy. Do
be reminded that we still use the term "liberal arts" to refer to the kind
of education that teaches young people to think critically, learn widely,
act ethically, and prepare not only for a career but for life. I have found
this to be just as true at the secular university I now teach part-time at,
as was the case at Christian but independent, non-sectarian liberal arts
Berea College.

As Horace once quipped (broadly translated): "One man's Mede is another
man's Persian."

Bob Schneider