Re: Church-State -- some history

From: Innovatia <dennis@innovatia.com>
Date: Wed May 19 2004 - 19:30:55 EDT

Hello John Burgeson,

> >>Not correct either. The Constitution was written in the Christian
> milieu of
> the late American colonies and no discernible line of legal argument can
> be
> made historically that the founders, though the key ones were Freemasons
> and
> not Christians, were arguing for religious disengagement by government to
> this extent, only to the extent of not favoring the usurpation of one
> Christian sect over another, to paraphrase Jefferson.>>
>
> While true, that was not the thrust of my argument.
>
> What the Founders had in mind is interesting -- even informative, but is
> not the sole factor in how the constitution is now viewed.
>
> If one wishes to argue that it SHOULD be, that's fine; I do not care to
> take up that particular line of debate.

George Murphy seems to have pursued that line sufficiently. (I think he's
basically correct.)

I must apologize a bit for the scatteredness of my response, but at bottom I
think the issue of the P.O. posting rests upon and is determined by more
basic issues which have to do with how we as Christians should regard
politics overall. It seems to me that most American Christians become
ambivalent as Christians when the topic of politics arises because of
divided political loyalties between the kingdom of Christ and Washington or
the U.S., between God's law and human laws. However, I don't know if you
want to pursue this issue in that direction either.

Saludos,

Dennis Feucht