RE: Shapes of a Wedge

From: Jan de Koning <jan@dekoning.ca>
Date: Wed May 19 2004 - 15:16:54 EDT

At 10:31 AM 19/05/2004 -0400, Alexanian, Moorad wrote:
>Let us not confuse disciplines and their subject matters. The statement
>concerning the‚€earth's sphericity and heliocentricity‚€ are scientific
>statements that can be readily verified by experimental science. However,
>the question of evolution is the subject matter of a historical science.
>The latter are based on experimental science plus a particular assumption
>detailing the timeline of earth or the universe. There are many more
>people that make our faith ridiculous specially those who practice the
>worst of sin, pride.

I am sorry, but "evolution" is not a "historical science" but a biological
one. A friend who is a biologist offered to take me into any forest to
show that evolution is happening now, and combined with other historical
sciences, evolution can be proved. I believe, that for the faith-life of a
young student denying evolution as taught by biologists, is more dangerous
than learning it at the feet of your parents and other Christian teachers
at Christian colleges and universities, if they know what they are talking
about in biology.

As a matter of fact, those denying evolution as taught at universities do
more harm to Christian students than those Christian teachers who
carefully show God's hand busy in nature, using evolution. Or, those
historians digging in the past showing how history was developing before
the bible was in its present form, are often more to be trusted than those
who assume that there was no evolution, and/or those who "teach" that
people 6000 - 8000 years ago had the same way of thinking as modern people
have. God spoke to them in their language, using their thought processes.

Jan de Koning