Re: Church-State -- some history

From: John W Burgeson <jwburgeson@juno.com>
Date: Wed May 19 2004 - 11:13:12 EDT

>>Not correct either. The Constitution was written in the Christian
milieu of
the late American colonies and no discernible line of legal argument can
be
made historically that the founders, though the key ones were Freemasons
and
not Christians, were arguing for religious disengagement by government to
this extent, only to the extent of not favoring the usurpation of one
Christian sect over another, to paraphrase Jefferson.>>

While true, that was not the thrust of my argument.

What the Founders had in mind is interesting -- even informative, but is
not the sole factor in how the constitution is now viewed.

If one wishes to argue that it SHOULD be, that's fine; I do not care to
take up that particular line of debate.

Burgy

Ubi Caritas

Surf the Web up to FIVE TIMES FASTER!