Re: Shapes of a Wedge

From: William Hamilton <whamilton51@comcast.net>
Date: Tue May 18 2004 - 21:37:12 EDT

On Saturday, May 15, 2004, at 02:27 PM, Al Koop wrote:

> The reviewer, Steve Olson, a science writer says: "...creationism
> appears to again be in a period of ascendancy." I think that today's
> discussion presented to average citizen (who can understand little
> science in my opinion) has little to to with the principles of science
> and much more to do with the rhetorical and political skills of those
> on
> either side, along with an appeal to a religious position.
And yet these writers seem able to convince their scientifically naive
readers that science is on the side of creationism.
> The
> antievolution folk are ahead of the proevolution folk in this regard,
To an extent this is a matter of perception. I am on a mailing list
with a number of Christians who range from moderately creationist in
their outlook to diehard Morris advocates. To hear them tell it, the
evolutionists have already won, and they're thinking about taking their
kids out of government schools (a sentiment I can agree with, but for
different reasons)
> and if the proevolution folk wish to stem the tide they are going to
> have to write a far different type of book than the books by Shanks and
> Forrest and Gross, which the general public will never read. The
> people
> writing these new books will probably have to take a more political and
> rhetorical approach, as well, if their goal is to move people, rather
> than just pointing out the scientific evidence in favor of evolution to
> the few who can grasp it. There does not seem to be anybody out there
> yet who can come close to filling the shoes of Stephen Gould, much less
> anyone exceeding his ability to engage the general public, at least to
> some degree. Somebody is going to have to get a proevolution book on
> the
> best sellers list like Hawking and Greene managed to do with cosmology.
True. Who? Where? Glenn has written two (perhaps more) proevolution
books and shopped them around to scads of publishers. As I remember
the secular publishers didn't seeany issue in them worth publishing,
and the Christian houses said "too controversial"

Bill Hamilton Rochester, MI 248 652 4148