Fwd: RE: Shapes of a Wedge

From: Jan de Koning <jan@dekoning.ca>
Date: Tue May 18 2004 - 17:12:26 EDT

>Moorad wrote:
>Wisdom has nothing to do with formal education. A plain, simple Christian
>when asked what he/she thinks of evolution would say: ‚€œI do not know,
>but it has nothing to do with my faith in Christ as Savior.‚€ For those
>who have an opinion on the question of origins, the question is, would you
>bet your salvation on the correctness or incorrectness of what you believe
>regarding evolution? I certainly don‚€™t!

My salvation depends on Jesus Christ alone. So does anyone else's,
regardless if believing that evolution takes place (which can be easily
investigated) or that they are not interested in researching scientific
evidences. Even more, not everyone has to investigate scientific
evidences, but denying the scientific evidences God placed in creation is
as much of a sin as denying that God created. Of course, wisdom has nothing
to do with formal education. The problem at the moment is, that simple
Christians are being misled, and that some believing Christians are
attacked because they teach that God created using evolution. Personally,
I think it is a sin if people who ought to know better, try to read certain
chapters in the Bible as if they were written for twenty-first scientists
only. I do not want to force everyone to believe what I do. That is
simply impossible, because nobody has the same background and life-story I
had over the past 79 years. On the other hand I do not want either that
young students are being misled into believing that God was speaking a
modern language 60 centuries ago.
Faithfully translating and then reading the Bible requires a thorough
historical, linguistic and scientific background, which I do not claim to
have yet. So I go for parts of it to scientists who studied the particular
areas needed to read specific places in the Bible. Nobody alive know
thoroughly the languages, circumstances and even places where God spoke to
his first children.

Also, let us as Christians accept each other without accusing each other
continually. Help our young brothers and sisters who rally want to become
scientists without disturbing them by talking about things we don't know
anything about.

Jan de Koning