Re: Church-State -- some history

From: George Murphy <gmurphy@raex.com>
Date: Tue May 18 2004 - 09:45:52 EDT

        As a follow-up on this topic I would recommend George Will's column
on the 50th anniversary of the Brown v BOE decision that was in the Sunday
Akron Beacon Journal. His argument is not novel but is, I think, a well
stated expression of a sound conservative view. In brief, "separate but
equal" should have been overturned but not on the grounds that the Supreme
Court in '54 overturned it. As Will points out, the argument that
segregated schools damaged minority children psychologically, for whatever
value it may have had in that case, does not justify desegregation in other
areas - public beaches &c - although Brown has been used as a precedent for
rulings in such cases. Will is correct in saying that it would have been
better to get to the heart of the matter and say simply that enforced
separation is inherently unequal.

Shalom
George
http://web.raex.com/~gmurphy/