Re: Shapes of a Wedge

From: George Murphy <gmurphy@raex.com>
Date: Tue May 18 2004 - 08:21:30 EDT

----- Original Message -----
From: "Jan de Koning" <jan@dekoning.ca>
To: <asa@calvin.edu>
Sent: Monday, May 17, 2004 5:22 PM
Subject: Re: Shapes of a Wedge

> At 04:45 PM 17/05/2004 -0400, Al Koop wrote:
> >You and I probably agree (along with many others) that there already are
> >adequate arguments for accepting evolution that take the Bible and the
> >Christian theological tradition seriously. I think it will take some
> >one with a very high profile in the religious limelight to make any
> >headway quickly. If someone with the clout of a Billy Graham (and there
> >doesn't seem to be anybody of his stature to take his place right now)
> >would make a point of supporting evolution, things could change
> >substantially. But if evolution acceptance has to go pulpit by
> >pulpit,church by church, it is going to be a long haul I am afraid.
> >The support that the pope has given has not even made much of a dent in
> >the general public of the US as far as I can tell. But maybe an
> >evangelical "celebrity" might make a difference.
>
> Is it really necessary that everyone accepts the view that God created
> using evolution? If so, it gets us in a quagmire of discussions about
> Bible interpretation. Someone without higher education would benefit very
> little of the discussion, and those of us who want to show how "evolution"
> does not contradict our high view of Biblical Truth would forever be busy
> discussing things while we will be not able to convince those who have not
> had a thorough scientific education, enforced by a studying of reformed
> (Calvinistic) philosophy. I tried, but I was unable to do so, though I am
> still accepted as a good reformed Calvinist, thanks to a discussion led by
> someone else in our church. But, all those who did not study science
> and/or philosophy still don't believe that what I say is correct.
> We all believe, that Jesus Christ died for our sins. Let that be
> enough. Teaching "evolution" to non-scientists is practically impossible,
> I think.

Jan -
        This would be fine if anti-evolutionists would agree that evolution
is not a church-dividing issue, that rejection of it is not necessary for
salvation, and - most importantly - if they would stop going on crusades
against evolution. But they don't. As I pointed out in the letter I
included in my post, they make Christianity look stupid to nonbelievers &,
in addition, are responsible for the loss of faith of some Christians when
they discover what the world is really like. (See, e.g., examples Glenn
Morton has noted.) In addition, opposition to evolution & YEC views tie in
with ideas about the environment which can have serious practical
consequences.

Shalom
George
http://web.raex.com/~gmurphy/