Re: Shapes of a Wedge

From: Jan de Koning <jan@dekoning.ca>
Date: Mon May 17 2004 - 17:22:39 EDT

At 04:45 PM 17/05/2004 -0400, Al Koop wrote:
>You and I probably agree (along with many others) that there already are
>adequate arguments for accepting evolution that take the Bible and the
>Christian theological tradition seriously. I think it will take some
>one with a very high profile in the religious limelight to make any
>headway quickly. If someone with the clout of a Billy Graham (and there
>doesn't seem to be anybody of his stature to take his place right now)
>would make a point of supporting evolution, things could change
>substantially. But if evolution acceptance has to go pulpit by
>pulpit,church by church, it is going to be a long haul I am afraid.
>The support that the pope has given has not even made much of a dent in
>the general public of the US as far as I can tell. But maybe an
>evangelical "celebrity" might make a difference.

Is it really necessary that everyone accepts the view that God created
using evolution? If so, it gets us in a quagmire of discussions about
Bible interpretation. Someone without higher education would benefit very
little of the discussion, and those of us who want to show how "evolution"
does not contradict our high view of Biblical Truth would forever be busy
discussing things while we will be not able to convince those who have not
had a thorough scientific education, enforced by a studying of reformed
(Calvinistic) philosophy. I tried, but I was unable to do so, though I am
still accepted as a good reformed Calvinist, thanks to a discussion led by
someone else in our church. But, all those who did not study science
and/or philosophy still don't believe that what I say is correct.
We all believe, that Jesus Christ died for our sins. Let that be
enough. Teaching "evolution" to non-scientists is practically impossible,
I think.

Jan de Koning