Re: Shapes of a Wedge

From: Al Koop <koopa@gvsu.edu>
Date: Mon May 17 2004 - 16:45:16 EDT

"George Murphy" <gmurphy@raex.com> 05/16/04 3:10 PM wrote:

        Rhetoric and politics are part of the story but the fundamental
issue
here is theological. The great majority of people who oppose evolution
do
so on religious grounds. (Of course those religious views may range
from a
well thought out & sophisticated to incoherent.) Nonbelievers who are
concerned about this problem can then see elimination of religion as a
solution but that is of course not the case for Christians. Unless we
can
present adequate arguments for accepting evolution that take the Bible
and
the Christian theological tradition seriously, all the scientific
arguments
in the world will accomplish little. (Which is, of course, not to say
that
scientific arguments have no place at all in the discussion.)

You and I probably agree (along with many others) that there already are
adequate arguments for accepting evolution that take the Bible and the
Christian theological tradition seriously. I think it will take some
one with a very high profile in the religious limelight to make any
headway quickly. If someone with the clout of a Billy Graham (and there
doesn't seem to be anybody of his stature to take his place right now)
would make a point of supporting evolution, things could change
substantially. But if evolution acceptance has to go pulpit by
pulpit,church by church, it is going to be a long haul I am afraid.
The support that the pope has given has not even made much of a dent in
the general public of the US as far as I can tell. But maybe an
evangelical "celebrity" might make a difference.

Al Koop