Re: Pharaoh and his hardened heart

From: Dick Fischer <dickfischer@earthlink.net>
Date: Sat May 15 2004 - 10:02:09 EDT

Dennis wrote:

This argument assumes free will and concludes that divine determinism is not incompatible with it. In a PSCF communication of a few years ago (I'll send a Word 97 copy to anyone upon request), I set out the dual argument, of arguing from God's determinism to free will. The result is essentially the same.

The complication I have always been curious about is that the permutations of possible future events that can be caused by one small event approaches infinity. If you saw the recent Lakers-Spurs game, or a highlight of it, you saw Derek Fisher sink an almost impossible shot with 0.4 seconds to go in the game, thereby winning it. If the Lakers go on to win the series, the future will be different than had the ball clanged off the rim. In essence, all of life is like that.

It is not simply whether God can know what choices we will make in any given circumstances. He must virtually know the location and action of every molecule, every atom, every particle from the Big Bang to the Big Crunch! Is that knowable?

If we assume the future is knowable, and God knows it, then His personal action in nature is unnecessary. If the future cannot be known, then only God's personal involvement can bring about a desired result. And I don't think Calvin had the answer to that.

www.genesisproclaimed.org