Re: Peeved at the pump

From: Howard J. Van Till <hvantill@sbcglobal.net>
Date: Fri May 14 2004 - 08:09:34 EDT

On 5/13/04 10:29 PM, "Glenn Morton" <glennmorton@entouch.net> wrote:

> [...]

Glenn,

If Value = Cost of Producing & Distributing, I agree. We are probably
paying the production & distribution costs + a reasonable profit.

However, my point is that because oil is a finite and versatile natural
resource its actual Value >> Cost of Producing and Distributing. If our
generation simply uses it up for cheap and portable energy, our
grandchildren will have a perfect right to be really angry and to ask why we
had so little foresight. We will have used up the oil that they will need
for manufacturing all sorts of products ‹ plastics, etc.

Consequently, I am inclined to say, go ahead and heap taxes on oil as a way
of educating people concerning the actual Value of oil as a finite and
versatile resource and spend that money on developing alternative energy
producing systems.

Howard