Re: James Kennedy's new initiative

From: <drsyme@cablespeed.com>
Date: Wed May 12 2004 - 13:47:39 EDT

I am a current active member of a PCA church, and have
been for years. As far as I know, views other than YEC
are acceptable among the pastorate, and certainly among
elders, deacons and members.

There was a debate about this a few years ago, and a
commitee reported to the General Assembly in 2000. A copy
of this report can be found on Hugh Ross web site:

http://www.reasons.org/resources/apologetics/pca_creation_study_committee_report.shtml?main

This is in the recommendation section of that document,
and it was accepted by the general assembly in that year:

"That since historically in Reformed theology there has
been a diversity of views of the creation days among
highly resected theologicans, and, since the PCA has from
its inception allowed a diversity, that the Assembly
affirm that such diversity as covered in this report is
acceptable as long as the full historicity of the creation
account is accepted."

James Montgomery Boice, was, not a YECer as far as I can
tell from his readings. If you read his book on Genesis,
he says something to the effect that there are too many
lines of evidence (scientific he meant), supporting an old
earth, to think that a literal 24 hour day view was the
best one. He seemed to be a day/age proponent.

Of course, there are YEC'ers in these congregations, and
among the pastorate, and there are those who want the
church to adopt a YEC view. The next general assembly
will be in June. I dont see anything on the docket
regarding this issue, but will just have to keep an eye on
things to see if they change.